Wednesday 5 January 2022

COMMISSION PRICES 2022



There'll be an increase in prices, not massive, just something to reflect rising costs across the board and the need to make a living. Anything booked with me before this post goes live will be at the price agreed when the work was commissioned, so don't fret if you're waiting on something.

Okay, postage is now a tad expensive to anywhere outside the UK. So, from now on there'll be a basic charge of £10 for postage for anything going abroad. Otherwise, especially with sketchcovers, they're not worth drawing at the prices I do them at. For cover recreations it'll be £15, same for a3 sized watercolours. Again, that's less than what it costs to post something that size and weight to the USA, but it'll help keep my prices down. For large pieces, such as oil paintings, I'll be using UPS. For postal commissions within the UK, postage is free, unless it's a massive piece, a stack of blank sketch covers, or there's some other one off situation involved, in which case, there'll be a fee. In the UK, I can still post for free.

How to pay: First, I take payment upon completion of the job, nothing upfront, it makes the wait until I begin the art easier for the client and also gives me incentive to get the commission finished. Paypal, bank transfer or cheque are all fine.

I accept postal commissions all year round. So, if I don't end up attending a con in 2022, we can sort it out online. I am planning to attend the NICE con in Bedford the first week of September. If it goes ahead.

Here's the full rundown of what I do with examples and prices. As you'll see if you're a regular client, there isn't much new art, basically because I've not spent as much time in the studio since March 2020 due to the Covid-19 situation. 


WATERCOLOURS 

 These aren't to be confused with the Copic/colour wash pieces, these are true watercolours, no ink or marker involved. I prefer doing watercolours to using Copics, something to consider, perhaps!


Prices for an A4 watercolour start at £70. Prices start at £200 for a watercolour piece A3 in size. That'd be with a fully rendered figure, or two if it's simple, with a basic wash background. For a more detailed background, for example with rendered buildings, it'd be more money, say £250. For multiple figures involved in a battle, then it'd go up in price again. See examples below with listed prices for an idea of the different costs.


watercolour sketchcover £75


A4 watercolour £70


A4 watercolour £70


A3 watercolour £220


A4 watercolour £70


A3 watercolour £200





A4 watercolour £70


A3 watercolour recreation £250


A3 watercolour recreation £250

A3 watercolour £275


 SKETCH COVERS

These are £60 for a b/w Copic sketch like the examples below, a single figure bust, a close up etc, even a single full figure. For a wrap that'd be £120. Colour (Copics and ink with watercolour wash) will be £70, £140 for a wrap. For anything like multiple figures, detailed background, complicated compositions etc then it'll be on a per job basis. We're not talking hundreds of pounds or anything, but they will be a little more money than the base price!

Again, I must point out, that the quality of blank variant titles varies greatly depending on the publisher. For example, DC generally have the best surface to draw on.
Marvel tend to be hit and miss. Also, be mindful that some Marvel blanks have a massive logo plastered across them that inhibits greatly what can be drawn on. Why? No idea, it's inane. Think about that when considering those blanks for a commission!
Dynamite...every tool I use skates across the almost plastic surface and coagulates in a pool of frustration. So, not all options will be available for every blank variant. We can always talk about it beforehand. 
Just be aware that occasionally, I can't do what you want on a specific sketch cover so you may have to be prepared to accept an alternative. Time for the art!


Copics with watercolour wash. £70


Copic markers £60



More detailed Copic markers £75



Two figures in Copic marker £75


Julie Newmar Copic marker sketch, £60


Adam West Copic marker sketch £60


I can also do the above style of detailed sketches on regular paper, either A4 sized at £60 (£70 for colour (Copics with a watercolour wash) or A3 sized for £120 (£140 for colour), if you don't want them on blank variant covers. Again, it's a similar situation regarding detailed backgrounds and multiple figures. They'll be priced on a per job basis. 
One thing I no longer offer, on any surface, is likenesses of people who aren't celebrities, by that I mean family members, friends etc. It's just a load of hassle. Sorry. I know I've broken this edict in the past, but no more! 


A3 Emma Frost Copic marker with watercolour wash £140


A3 Copic marker with watercolour wash £175


A3 Copic marker sketch £120


A3 Copic markers with watercolour wash £140


A4 Copic marker sketch £60



COVER RECREATIONS/ RE-IMAGININGS 

I enjoy doing these, for the most part, especially by artists who's work I like. Standard price, $320 (about £240) for the linework ones. That includes me drawing in the logo, price etc. Unless you don't want it on...

These full tonal pieces are $400 (£300), they're obviously more time consuming, but they look pretty nice. I also colour recreations digitally, the cost of the digital colouring (a full size colour print is included too) is an additional $100. Cover recreations are approximately regular comic art size 15.5" by 11".

I also do completely original linework commissions and also original tonal pieces done in pencil, ink and Copics. Same pricing as the recreations. I can work in many other artist's styles or in my own style. 


Linework recreation with digital colouring $320 (and $100 for colour)




Linework $320 (£240)

Linework $320 (£240)


Linework recreation with digital colouring $320 (and $100 for colour)



Linework recreation with digital colouring $320 (and $100 for colour)



OIL PAINTINGS

This is my thing really, the form of art that I primarily worked in during my comic book cover artist years. I think it's what I'm best at. I paint in oil on canvas board and I can work to specific size requirements, but the usual size is approx 19" by 13" (the board is 50cm by 40cm). I always use UPS to post oils abroad, it's quicker to foreign lands and that helps alleviate the stress of art being in the postal system. Also, both the recipient and I can track it (something unavailable with Royal mail and USPS, despite what they claim.)

Below are some examples. I'll list pricing underneath each image. I price each piece according to the size and subject matter. 


Oil and acrylic on board 50cm by 40 cm $2250


Oil on canvas board 24" by 16" $3000



Oil on canvas board 24" by 16" $3000



Oil on canvas board 24" by 16" $3250



Oil on canvas board 24" by 16" $3000


An older piece, oil on canvas panel, approx 19" by 13" $2200


Oil on canvas panel approx 19" by 13" $2250


If you're interested in me doing a commission, then get in touch via johnwatsonart@gmail.com or message me on FB! 



No comments:

Post a Comment